Tuesday, June 19, 2007

If I Could Cure Any Disease...


I was prompted by this topic from a message board I like to visit and I had to write about it because the thoughts instantly popped in my head. If I could cure any disease, it would be schizophrenia. It is a disease that has had an effect on my family since as long as I can remember. For the person who has it, it's a sentence of emptiness inside. It is a lonely disease with little support and even a smaller amount of public knowledge. The mentally ill used to be cast away and treated like second rate citizens. There have been improvements in our society but things are still sadly in a poor state. People in asylums used to die and be unclaimed by family only to be buried in unmarked mass graves. This is something you think might have happened in the 1800s.... perhaps in poor countries. But no, this happened in the 1900s in California. One such mass grave exists in downtown Stockton, CA. The last I heard, a developer wanted to build medical offices on the land and there was a debate about it. Our mentally ill citizens have done nothing wrong and did not ask for this life but I think it's our job to take care of them even if it just to offer them a warm smile...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great answer to the challenge question. It's interesting to read everyone's answers.

CircesMagic said...

My mother worked for a hospital and people who had schizophrenia...it is so sad how they are treated...my mother has taught me to accept ALL people no matter what their mental state....I wish everyone was taught that!!